Keep on the sunny side

Posted by Tim Ireland at February 4, 2008

Category: Consume!

Monday, February 4th, 2008
under Consume!.

Sydney Morning Herald – Ads to woo British more sledge than sweet talk: Australia is to launch an aggressive campaign aimed at attracting a new generation of British immigrants. The ads for the South Australian Government include slogans such as “Sod London house prices” and “Screw working in Staines, hello Adelaide”. Bill Muirhead, an Adelaide-born partner in the M & C Saatchi ad firm in London, and agent-general for South Australia, said he was aware the campaign might create enemies. “It might appear we are being rude, but a lot of things in Britain aren’t good,” he told The Times. “We went for Staines because it sounds nasty.”

Well, I can’t argue with that last point, but otherwise they can go screw themselves; I love it here.

1. Sim-O says

Glad some bugger does.But then I'd only miss it if I left.

There's lots to love, Sim-O… and you're right. It's made up of little things you often don't realise are there until they're suddenly not any more. Let's just take the single issue of climate into account:Hottest day in the UK since records began: 38.1

3. bigdaddymerk says

I'd really love to go to Austriala but one thing (well two really) that puts me off is the amount of people who come back from 3 weeks in the sun and act as if it's the best place on earth. I know it has some amazing geography, some great places, but surely it isn't *that* good that my mate has to mention his travels round oz as part of every fucking conversation?"I'm thinking about converting the garge"….."ohh when I was in Sydney…."…agggggggggggghhhhAlso the flight, I'm not going till I can get there in less time than it takes me to eat a kit kat and watch whatever dross they're passing as the inflight movie.

If you try to eat the wafers first, you can make a Kit Kat last a whole day. More if there's turbulence.And yes, visitors to Australia (who, typically, rarely get further than Sydney) can be as annoying as ex-smokers and the recently engaged.Every. Sodding. Conversation.

5. Sim-O says

I saw a documentary about the 10 most dangerous animals in the world.I think 7 are in Australia.We watched it wondering how the Australian tourist board let it go out without a fight.BDG: no-one mentions the flies, apparently. A friend recently came back and said it was not too dissimilar to Britain except f***ing hot and choc full of flies.

6. bigdaddymerk says

I much prefer those Aussies that make the UK their home;Rolf HarrisKylieManicRupert Mur….never mind!

Sim-O: Tell me about it! Poisonous/venomous creatures are lurking in every nook and cranny on land (never mind the threat of bushfires, floods, and floods that put out bushfires). If you try to retreat seawards, you're faced with sharks, the particularly nasty blue-ringed octopus, and the spineless-but-lethal box jellyfish.The population pattern of Australia (with the majority of occupants clinging hopefully to a narrow band along the coast) has in the past been unkindly compared with scum washed up on shore…http://www.environment.gov.au/soe/2006/publicatio…… but if you take the evidence collectively and consider carefully how harshly this ancient and evil continent treats its recent arrivals, then the message should be pretty clear; Australia, quite simply, wants us all to Fuck. Off.bigdaddymerk: Read the above and decide for yourself if I'm a monster or a refugee.;oP