The ‘Bomb Al-Jazeera’ memo

Posted by Tim Ireland at November 25, 2005

Category: It's War! It's Legal! It's Lovely!

Friday, November 25th, 2005
under It’s War! It’s Legal! It’s Lovely!.

Boris Johnson: If someone passes me the document within the next few days I will be very happy to publish it in The Spectator, and risk a jail sentence.

BlairWatch: We’re with you Boris. Here’s the deal. If you get it, send it to us and we will also publish it. We will also risk jail.

I’m in. If I get my hands on it, I’ll publish. Hell, I’ll broadcast it in a way that will make it impossible to shut down.

How about you?

See also: Don’t Bomb Us – A blog by Al Jazeera Staffers

UPDATE – BBC – Al-Jazeera seeks ‘US bomb’ talks: A senior al-Jazeera executive is in the UK to demand publication of a memo in which George Bush allegedly discusses bombing the TV station’s HQ. (via)

UPDATE (28 Nov) – BlairWatch – Bombing al Jazeera – Were There Two Memos?: We have had it confirmed by a source who is in a position to know, that there ARE two seperate memos and that the UK Government are ‘livid’ that the second one is being leaked.

UPDATE (29 Nov) – Robber Rabbit – As seen on Al Jazeera: More disturbing was the implication that the whole “Bomb Qatar” thing wasn’t simply Georgie Boy thinking aloud. Maguire is certain from his sources that the tone of the memo shows Bush was indeed not joking, and this wasn’t simply one man’s big idea. Indeed, Maguire implied that this policy idea must have been passed around high level circles in the White House before Blair was brought into the loop. If so, whose idea was it?

1. Blairwatch says

We’re Prepared To Pay The Price Of Freedom, Are You?

After Blair’s threat to jail any editor who reports the Bomb Al-Jazeera memo, we thought there would be an outcry. Who would stand up for press freedom, or at least the freedom not to be bombed to buggery?One man has come out fighting. Boris Johnson:The

2. MJLloyd says

Pledgebank!I will publish the Bomb al Jazeera memo through whatever publishing tools I have, if everyone else on this list will do the sameWhat do you reckon?

3. MJLloyd says

OK, Pledgebank is a nice easy system to use.http://www.pledgebank.com/bomb-documentSign up, because you can bomb the world to pieces, but you can’t bomb it into peace

Several other people have had the same idea, but I’m not sure that Pledgebank is the solution here. I think it might be more to the point to promote the following EDMs:http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=29433&SESSION=875http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=29472&SESSION=875

5. Pickled Politics says

Publish the Al-Jazeera memo and be damned

It must be said that subsequent events have not made life easy for those of us who were so optimistic as to support the war in Iraq. There were those who believed the Government’s rubbish about Saddam’s Weapons of Mass Destruction. Then th…

6. NuLabour says

We will NOT be publishing the “Bush / Blair / Al Jazeera memo”

We doubt if Boris Johnson, or any other media publisher in the UK or any blogger will actually publish the alleged “Bush / Blair / Al Jazeera Memo”. Before anybody starts emailing all and sundry with copies of any alleged…

7. Many Angry Gerbils says

Everybody follow the blond bombshell.

I’m not going to rehearse the story to date of this now infamous memo in which George Bush discussed, with our own Mr. Blair, his ideas for bombing Al Jazeera. If you somehow don’t know about it, read up

8. Guy Gooberman says