Please. Watch. This.

Posted by Tim Ireland at September 15, 2006

Category: Christ...

Friday, September 15th, 2006
under Christ….

If you really want to understand the dangers of religious extremism, I urge you to watch the following programme (links in the review are mine)…

The Doomsday Code – 7:00pm – Saturday 16 September – Channel 4

Radio Times (David Butcher):

Tony Robinson is more of a deep thinker than you might guess, and here he brings us a rollicking story about a strain of evangelical Christianity that takes the Book of Revelation literally: the so-called “End-Timers”. Put crudely, End-Timers believe that the apocalypse is coming, and they wield considerable (and worrying) political clout in the USA. We see a string of preachers from the American South (all steel-haired white men with booming voices) whose crackpot jumble of beliefs may well appal moderate Christians as much as atheists. Broadly, their agenda is to pour petrol on the flames of Middle Eastern politics, dilute the USA’s will to combat global warming and foster hostility to the UN. It’s an alarming and incendiary package, to say the least. And before you write to complain that I’m biased in some way, spend two hours watching this shrewd, far-reaching film.

In fact, I urge you to tape it so you can have a copy to share with those in need of enlightenment.

UPDATE – A quick related link for you… ABC News – Film Shows Youths Training to Fight for Jesus (alt. video link here)

Oh, and you’re sure to enjoy Creationism Explained… using a soda can and a banana (link via).

1. scotch says

And if, like me, you forgot folks, set your vid, sky, tivo, stay up for 1.30AM Tuesday for the repeat.

2. mww says

Jesus and Mo comment quite amusingly on the banana controversy:http://www.jesusandmo.net/2006/05/11/skin/

Hehehehe… and Underblog has a fantasic headline:http://www.randall100.f2s.com/?p=128

4. Davide Simonetti says

Well, I thought I had taped it, but it seems my VCR had other ideas. Will try again on Tuesday. Anyway it was verrrry interesting.

5. Dave Cross says

All very interesting (and rather worrying) stuff.My write-up seems to have attracted a creationist nutter:http://blog.dave.org.uk/archives/001089.html

6. Davide Simonetti says

I never did manage to tape it. However, for anyone that did miss the programme, I discovered that it is available on-line from http://informationclearinghouse.info/article15032.htm